Thursday 3 July 2008

Roasted banana ice cream with poppy seeds

Mayhaps you too went to search for some good bursting red tomatoes this one morning and encountered a bunch of blackened bananas instead. No bursting red tomatoes. Sad moment. The bananas looked kinda scary as well. Another sad moment.

But the thing with bananas is that they tend to be villainy. I mean, scaring me like that and then turning out to be perfectly lovely on the inside.

Makes me think I never really cared about the tomatoes anyway.


This is my first attempt at cooking a recipe from apparently the Bible of ice cream, David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. But still I couldn't help but mess with it, dear me.


Roasted banana ice cream with poppy seeds
(adapted from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop, via butter sugar flour)

3 medium ripe bananas (totally ripe suits as well;))
75 g brown sugar
3 dl milk
1 dl curd cheese (using cream cheese would also be good)
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp lime juice
vanilla (1/2 tsp extract)
1/4 tsp salt
at least 1 tbsp of poppy seeds
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
  2. Slice the bananas and place into a small baking dish together with the brown sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the bananas are caramelized. Turn once during cooking.
  3. With the help of a food processor, blender or immersion blender, puree the bananas together with the syrup from the baking dish, milk, curd cheese, sugar, lime juice, vanilla and salt until smooth. Add poppy seeds.
  4. Chill the mixture in the fridge until cold.
  5. Churn in an ice-cream machine until thick or place in a plastic container, pop it in the freezer and give it a good whip every hour or every few hours, depending on the temperature of your freezer.

The words banana ice cream never make me drool, actually, as I tend to think of store-bought ice cream pops that carry the same unmistakable banana essence flavour that all banana-FLAVOURED sweets have in them.
Maybe you've seen yellow banana-shaped jellybeans. Well, there must be a reason to their shape. Nobody would understand they're supposed to taste like bananas, is what I'd reckon.

But roasting really intensifies the taste of the bananas. It's not just banana-flavoured ice cream, it's actually banana ice cream. Which, you know, is a totally drool-worthy dish. The poppy seeds? They were the only thing I felt was missing from the ice cream, that's it.

The recipe will also be taking part of the fab event Frozen Desserts, hosted by Mike of Mike's Table.

8 comments:

Sophie said...

Yummy post :). Great idea for using old bananas.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I saw your ice cream on the I Scream roundup and I just had to have the recipe. David Lebovitz is great, isn't he?

Oh, if you want a quick way to do the bananas, then put then in the microwave for a few minutes, split the skin and add in the brown sugar. The sugar will melt and carmelise with the heat of the banana. You can also put the bananas on the bbq in their skins for the same effect.

Evelin said...

sophie, thanks you!

holler, thank you for these tips! Grilling bananas is a great idea and I've done it myself. Never with brown sugar though!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. Always great to see things from Lebovitz' book.

Lo said...

Ah, you really can't go wrong with Lebovitz, can you?

I'm a huge sucker for raosted/sauteed/cooked bananas, so this will definitely be getting some press at our house.

And, oh yes, I need to consider buying that book.

Anonymous said...

evelin, that roasted banana ice cream sounds delicious and I have a small crowd of very ripe bananas sitting on my counter... banana bread just didn't sound very enticing, but this sounds fantastic1

Namratha said...

Wow, have never heard or seen something like this before, sounds very delicious!!

restaurants said...

looks yummy really..