Thursday 19 June 2008

Granny got twisted

Now, don't be afraid if you've never heard of mayo cookies before. They're perfectly alright, perfectly sweet and actually quite perfectly perfect.
(And if you're still afraid, consider the ingredients of mayonnaise for a second - they're actually all used in sweet cookies too, you see! yeaaah!)

My grandmother is an expert and no matter how many times I try, I'll never get them that right. Maybe that's why I decided to give her mayo cookies my own twist, adding white chocolate on top (the best of ideas - she'd be proud of me). The first time I made them, I accidentally made them according to her original quantities which resulted in the whole kitchen being filled with cookies. Oh, you know, grannies and their recipes...


The quantities are reduced here, you shouldn't be afraid of flooding your kitchen with cookies if you plan to make them. (not that that's a bad thing, it just came unexpectedly to me)


Mayonnaise cookies with white chocolate

100 g mayonnaise
100 g butter, at room temperature
4 dl flour
2 dl sugar
1 egg

White chocolate
  1. Mix butter well with sugar, until the mixture becomes fluffier.
  2. Whisk in mayonnaise and then the egg. Finally add the flour.
  3. Place the dough into the fridge for 30 minutes.
  4. Make small balls of the dough between your fingers, place them onto a buttered baking sheet and flatten with a fork.
  5. Bake at 190C until slightly golden at the edges, about 9 minutes. Let cool.
  6. Melt white chocolate over a waterbath and decorate the cookies with it. Spread it on top or make other decorations. Let them cool for the chocolate to harden.
I must admit it - the batter tastes funny. But that's okay, because the cookies end up being sweet in that good childhoody way. That's the best way to put it, actually, the flavour is difficult to describe. But they're utterly delicious and the white chocolate gives them another sweet kick, making the final result girly and - again - childhoody.

6 comments:

Angelica said...

Oooh, mayo cookies--intriguing! I feel I just have to give them a try.
Gotta love granny quantities!

Anonymous said...

Never heard of mayo cookies, cake yes but cookies not....interesting...
White chocolate is good on pretty much anything ;)

Evelin said...

angelica, thanks! Granny quantities are great when you don't have to make all the cookies yourself;)

linda, that's right, white chocolate is the KEY;) I haven't made a mayo cake yes, but I've been planning to. These cookies are too good to leave it be!

Lore said...

Oh yes, I've heard about adding mayo in cakes and cookies and you're right: there's nothing to be affraid of. I'll have a dozen please :D

vanillasugarblog said...

oh my these are something I would love...I must admit I love how you think mixing it up.

restaurants said...

This is looking really delicious..